These self love New Year’s resolutions will help you start the year on just the right note.
Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate links. We earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. For more info, read our disclosure policy.
You’re exhausted – not just tired but actually weary to the bone.
You try to breathe, but you can’t quite catch your breath even when you’re just sitting down.
It’s warm, but you feel oh-so cold. Numb. As if nothing could reach your bruised heart.
These are all signs of an empty cup. You give and give until you have nothing left.
You deserve to be treated with the love you give others. Yes, you deserve love too.
Check your self-love – the deep sense of appreciation for yourself that both nurture and is nurtured by your actions.
The start of the year is a great time to really look at how you’ve been treating yourself. Are you showering yourself with the love and care that you share with your family and friends?
What do you do to make sure that you’re not running on empty – like a car engine that stalled for lack of fuel?
While New Year’s resolutions will naturally be subjective (because it depends on where you are on your journey), self love New Year’s resolutions is a constant. All of us need them.
So, read this post and allow it to inspire you to make your own.
If you need help with developing and cultivating self-love, check out the resources below:
What are affirmations of love – A comprehensive list of self-love affirmations you can use to counter negative self-talk.
Love affirmations – A massive 100+ list of affirmations to bring love into your life.
The best self-love meditation to listen to.
The top self-love books you can read to help you really understand what self-love is, why you need it and how you can practise it.
Self-love activities you can do solo.
Why mothers in particular and caregivers, in general, are especially susceptible to compassion fatigue, how to take advantage of what little time you have available to focus on yourself as well as quick and easy self-care strategies for busy parents.
Self-care gifts you can give yourself (or the people you care about).
Now armed with this information, you can create self love New Year’s resolutions designed specifically for you.
So, how to make self love a part of your New Year’s resolution?
If you haven’t focused on yourself or on loving yourself before, I recommend making this your overarching New Year’s resolutions.
It’s a broad topic and, believe it or not, very easy to create the daily disciplines you need to get from point A to point B.
In the next section, I’ll give you a template that you can use to create your own self love New Year’s resolutions.
Overarching Goal: I give myself the attention, the care and the love I require and deserve.
Your goal determines your outcome, Jim Rohn once said. And that statement is as valid for self-love as it is for business.
Self-love is a big topic so you’ll want to break it down to smaller, more manageable chunks.
Go for things you can do daily, weekly and monthly. And don’t worry if you can’t always do them.
Your New Year’s Resolutions are meant to help you, not pressure you.
Daily Self Love New Year’s Resolutions
1. Drink two glasses of water upon waking up and one glass right before going to bed.
2. Meditate for at least 5 minutes every morning.
3. Exercise every day. Use the exercise recommended in the Fabulous app – less than 10 minutes – if you don’t have much time.
4. Start journaling before going to bed. Write short observations or thoughts.
5. Set your to-do list for the next day before going to sleep.
6. You could create a morning routine that will cement the practise of self-love in your everyday life.
7. Take vitamins and minerals. Or make sure that you eat a balanced diet.
8. Use your daily shower as more than just a way to clean your body. Close your eyes and imagine the water cleaning your mind as well.
10. Stretch the kinks out of your body every morning and every evening. I love Yoga with Adriene – a free YouTube channel that contains thousands of yoga routines you can follow to suit your needs.
Weekly Self Love New Year’s Resolutions
2. Have a few hours to yourself, just reflecting on the week past.
3. Travel – either physically or virtually – to a place you’ve never been to before.
4. Treat yourself to a massage session. See a masseuse or invest in a massage gun.
5. Put some feel good songs on and just dance your heart out. You can do this more often if you want but for those who don’t have much time or aren’t too confident with their bodies, once a week is enough to get those endorphins going.
6. Do something creative. Paint or craft, whichever you find easier. Find a way to express your soul.
8. Do something you haven’t done before. Big or small – it doesn’t matter. Just do it.
9. Date yourself.
10. Go on a walk outside and enjoy the outdoors. Gear yourself up with Aktiv Style, so you’re warm and comfortable.
Monthly Self Love New Year’s Resolutions
1. Read a difficult book that teaches you something, like The Richest Man in Babylon.
2. Spend a half-day with yourself just reflecting on the month past. Actually, if you can, really go all out and spend a whole weekend simply enjoying your company.
3. Indulge in a spa day.
4. Have a lie in and make sure you do nothing but relax the entire day.
5. Challenge yourself to do something that will force you to face your fears. Maybe you’ve always been fascinated with bungee jumping but have always put it off. Now’s your chance!
6. Cook something special just for you. Cook from scratch, order a meal to eat at home or go to a Michelin restaurant – choose what suits you best.
7. Eat your favourite food without counting the calories. Life is for living, not obsessing about how much weight you’re likely to gain.
8. Join a new fitness class. Meet new people and expand your social circle while worshipping the temple that is your body. Win-win!
9. Do you have a bucket list? If so, tick one off every month. And if you don’t have a bucket list, start making one now and then tick one off every month.
10. Close your eyes and tell yourself how much you love you.
As you can see, these are all simple things do.
Some of them may be easy because they’re already a part of your routine anyway.
But some of them will be quite difficult, and you’ll have to really push yourself to do it. Maybe you hate reading books in general and books on self-improvement in particular.
Take it easy. Read a couple of pages at a time. And don’t worry. Perfection isn’t the goal here.
Roll on 2021!