Discover 100+ ways to unwind on a Saturday as part of your self-care. Looking for tools to help? A self-care Saturday routine may be it!
Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate links. We earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. For more info, read our disclosure policy.
A Self Care Weekend Starts With a Saturday
Ever feel like Saturday is just another square on the calendar, filled with chores, errands, or mindless scrolling? You’re not alone — it’s a battle most of us fight. We know it’s tough to prioritize yourself amid the demands of life, isn’t it?
But what if you could pick a day, pick Saturday to be your sanctuary, dedicating it to rejuvenation and self-care? What if you spent that one day focused on “me-time”?
Why not? You deserve a soul-soothing Saturday. If you’re ready to transform your weekends into a self-care adventure, you’re in the right place. Let’s get started!
What Is Self-Care?
Self-care is the practice of taking a proactive stance to guard your health and well-being, especially in times of stress. Rooted in self-love, it involves a diverse range of self-care activities based on your preferences and needs.
Self-care can be divided into eight pillars:
- Physical Self-Care
- Emotional Self-Care
- Mental Self-Care
- Social Self-Care
- Spiritual Self-Care
- Environmental Self-Care
- Financial Self-Care
- Professional Self-Care
If you’re starting a Saturday self care routine, I recommend choosing one activity from each pillar to enjoy a holistic experience.
Why Self-Care Is Important: The Long-Term Benefits of Self-Care Saturday
Embracing Self-Care Saturdays can truly be a game-changer. They offer a golden opportunity to unwind, reset, and recharge after a jam-packed week. But beyond a day of relaxation, self-care Saturdays offer the following benefits:
- A Boost for Your Body: With proper sleep, nutritious food, and some form of exercise, your physical health gets a remarkable uplift. It’s not just about looking good, but feeling good too!
- A Mind at Peace: Activities like meditation, journaling, spiritual showers, self-love baths, or simply spending quiet time in nature can enhance your mental health, reducing stress and anxiety levels.
- Resilience, Your New Superpower: Regular self-care isn’t a luxury; it’s a necessity. It arms you with resilience, prepping you to tackle life’s ups and downs more effectively.
- Confidence Unleashed: When you take time to care for yourself, you’re not being selfish; you’re empowering yourself. And guess what? That fuels your confidence like nothing else.
- Revitalize and Re-energize: Feeling drained? Self-care activities can reignite your inner spark, making you feel revitalized and improving your overall quality of life.
Of course, you can enjoy these benefits even when it’s not Saturday. After all, self-care Sundays are great too! But Saturdays are special; discover why in the next section.
Why Saturday Is the Perfect Day for Self-Care
For many people, Saturday is the perfect day for self-care because of the following reasons:
- More free time: People have more free time on Saturdays than on weekdays, which makes it easier to prioritize self-care activities. For example, you’ll have time to travel a bit. You could sleep in and not do anything until lunchtime. Or you could stay up late binge-watching your favorite movie or chilling with friends or family members.
- Flexibility: Saturdays offer flexibility in terms of scheduling self-care activities because you don’t have to worry about work or school obligations. You also won’t have to sleep early on Sunday night so you can get ready for the Monday rush.
- Less stress: Saturdays are often associated with relaxation and leisure, which can help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Opportunity to recharge: After a busy week, Saturdays provide an opportunity to reset and prepare for the upcoming week.
If you can practice self-care every Saturday, making it routine, you can sustain your well-being, enabling you to tackle everyday stresses more adeptly. Now, doesn’t that sound good?
Planning for Self-Care Saturday
Excited to embark on your journey towards a self care weekend? Let me share some planning advice to help ensure you truly attain the rest and rejuvenation you need.
Set a Goal for Your Self-Care Weekend
To design your weekend, you need to be clear on your ‘why’. Everyone’s driving force will be different, so spend a moment reflecting on your specific needs.
Perhaps you need to rest after a demanding workweek or a few stress-filled months. Maybe you’re gradually warming up to the idea of integrating self-care into your routine to help you feel energized and powerful. Or you might want to restore self-love and confidence after a breakup. Each goal needs something different, so you’ll have to tailor your weekend to help fulfill it.
Choose the Right Self Care Weekend
Daily life, rife with appointments, deadlines, and duties, can make it difficult to schedule your self-care weekend. Here are a few tips to help you choose the right weekend to start:
- Steer clear of weekends just before significant deadlines to ensure you can unwind fully.
- Wrap up your work ahead of time and ensure all responsibilities have been taken care of so you can create a worry-free space.
- Consider any imminent special events, birthdays, and holidays. Some people want to choose one weekend that coincides with a special occasion. Others don’t. Either way is okay.
Select the Acts of Self-Care You Wish to Do
There are as many self care ideas as there are people who want to try them. Yours might include a leisurely day with a relaxed breakfast, an advanced yoga class, and a calming bubble bath at a spa. Others might fancy an entire day dedicated to bagging a Munro.
Reflect on your ideal Saturday self-care activity. Consider what you’d find most enjoyable, and create a loose plan. It doesn’t have to be precise, but understanding your preferences and identifying self-care ideas you’re keen to try can make your experience more fruitful.
Safeguard Your Time
One of the most critical steps in planning a self-care day is safeguarding your time.
If you’re doing this at home and sharing that space with others, you’ll want to inform them of your intention to dedicate the weekend to yourself. If you’re going away for a self-care intensive, then you may want to tell them that you’ll be unreachable for the time you’re away, and responses may be delayed.
Setting boundaries may be difficult, but it’s crucial. If others are unaware of your intention to focus on yourself, they might unintentionally intrude.
Self-Care Saturday Ideas to Try This Weekend
People often think of self-care as taking care of your physical and mental health, but this isn’t always the case. Self-care is all about taking the time to engage in activities that promote personal growth, which means you have a lot of options for your self-care Saturday routine. Need some inspiration for when you take the time for self care? Choose from the list below:
- Go for a run or a brisk walk.
- Try a new workout routine.
- Take a relaxing bath with Epsom salts.
- Get a massage.
- Cook a nutritious and comforting meal.
- Have a good night’s sleep.
- Take a yoga class.
- Join a dance class.
- Try a Pilates class.
- Take up a sport, like tennis or badminton.
- Attend a Tai Chi session.
- Have a spa day at home.
- Participate in a fun outdoor activity like hiking or cycling.
- Try a water aerobics class.
- Go for a swim.
- Do a face mask.
- Give yourself a manicure or pedicure.
- Try a new smoothie recipe.
- Practice deep breathing exercises.
- Do stretching exercises.
- Try some NLP.
- Listen to your favorite music.
- Watch a heartwarming movie.
- Read a feel-good book.
- Spend time with a loved pet or volunteer at a shelter.
- Start an art journal.
- Write a letter to your future self.
- Practice mindfulness.
- Take time to laugh — watch a comedy show.
- Practice positive affirmations.
- Write a list of things you love about yourself.
- Meditate to clear your mind.
- Let yourself cry if you need to.
- Forgive someone who wronged you.
- Disconnect from technology for a few hours.
- Go to therapy or a support group.
- Practice self-compassion exercises.
- Spend time in nature.
- Create a vision board.
- Spend time on a hobby you love.
- Do puzzles or brain games.
- Take an online course or class.
- Read an interesting book.
- Watch a documentary.
- Write a poem or a short story.
- Draw or paint.
- Listen to an informative podcast.
- Visit a museum or art exhibit.
- Do a digital detox.
- Learn a new language.
- Write a bucket list.
- Start a DIY project.
- Listen to a TED Talk.
- Try learning a new musical instrument.
- Take up photography.
- Do some EFT.
- Write down all the things you love about yourself.
- Attend a seminar or workshop.
- Learn how to knit or crochet.
- Explore astronomy — stargaze.
- Have a picnic with friends.
- Join an online community.
- Join a club or social group.
- Have a meaningful conversation with a loved one.
- Plan a family outing.
- Schedule a coffee date with a friend.
- Join a book club.
- Attend a community event.
- Start a garden with your neighbors.
- Join a sports league.
- Host a potluck dinner.
- Attend a live music event.
- Go to a comedy club with friends.
- Set up a weekly video call with family or friends who live far away.
- Do a community cleanup.
- Host a movie night.
- Join a charity event.
- Start a walking group in your neighborhood.
- Visit an elderly relative or neighbor.
- Listen to subliminals.
- Take a nature walk.
- Practice yoga.
- Attend a religious service.
- Start a gratitude journal.
- Watch Jim Rohn’s talk on how to craft a good life.
- Practice mindfulness.
- Spend time in quiet contemplation.
- Join a spiritual study group.
- Explore different spiritual beliefs.
- Practice deep breathing exercises.
- Visit a place of worship.
- Take a spiritual retreat.
- Do some gardening.
- Listen to spiritual or meditative music.
- Explore a labyrinth or maze.
- Start a daily devotional.
- Light a candle and reflect.
- Practice Tai Chi or Qigong.
- Do a guided visualization.
- Join a recycling and composting initiative.
- Symbolically adopt a wild animal.
- Plant a tree.
- Start a vegetable garden.
- Invest in a bike and plan your route to minimize the use of your car.
- Donate to an environmental charity.
- Try making your own natural cleaning products.
- Buy from local farmers’ markets.
- Take a nature walk.
- Try zero-waste living for a day.
- Learn about local flora and fauna.
- Switch to a reusable water bottle.
- Set up a bee house.
- Create a backyard bird habitat.
- Volunteer for a beach cleanup.
- Start composting at home.
- Learn about local environmental issues.
- Try a plant-based meal.
- Do a home energy audit.
- Create a rain garden.
- Create a budget.
- Review your spending habits.
- Pay off a small debt.
- Start an emergency fund.
- Meet with a financial advisor.
- Learn about personal finance.
- Set financial goals.
- Review your retirement plan.
- Automate your bills.
- Declutter and sell unused items.
- Check your credit score.
- Attend a financial planning workshop.
- Save for a future vacation.
- Look at your subscriptions and cancel the ones you don’t need.
- Start a blog that makes money.
- Read a finance book.
- Start a side hustle.
- Invest in stocks or mutual funds.
- Learn about taxes and tax planning.
- Build a financial vision board.
- Attend a professional development seminar.
- Learn new software that can help you at work.
- Have a mentor-mentee meeting.
- Take a lunch break away from your desk.
- Create a work-life balance plan.
- Read a book related to your field.
- Reorganize your workspace.
- Network with colleagues.
- Ask for feedback.
- Take a mental health day.
- Set realistic career goals.
- Learn a new language related to your field.
- Take an online course to boost your skills.
- Practice public speaking.
- Attend a relevant conference or webinar.
- Unplug from work-related emails during non-working hours.
- Learn stress-management techniques.
- Schedule regular breaks during your workday.
- Update your resume.
- Create a career vision board.
Free Self-Care Saturday Activities
- Go for a walk in the park.
- Have a movie marathon at home.
- Journal your thoughts and feelings.
- Do a home workout.
- Read a book from your collection.
- Visit a free museum or exhibit.
- Spend time in nature.
- Bake using ingredients you already have.
- Volunteer at a local charity.
- Do some gardening.
- Have a picnic at a local park.
- Write a bucket list.
- Declutter and organize your home.
- Do a DIY beauty treatment.
- Take a nap.
- Have a home spa day.
- Try a new recipe.
- Listen to a podcast.
- Practice yoga or stretching.
Luxurious Self-Care Saturday Activities
- Get a professional massage.
- Have a fancy dinner at a high-end restaurant.
- Book a weekend getaway.
- Hire a personal trainer.
- Take a hot air balloon ride.
- Invest in a PEMF mat.
- Hire a cleaning service for your home.
- Go for a professional photoshoot.
- Have a shopping spree.
- Take a cooking class from a renowned chef.
- Get a facial or skincare treatment.
- Have a private session with EFT expert, Brad Yates.
- Take a luxury yoga retreat.
- Go on a scenic helicopter tour.
- Rent a cabin in the mountains.
- Get a manicure and pedicure.
- Take a sailing lesson.
- Hire a personal stylist.
- Attend a luxury wellness retreat.
- Book a suite in a luxury hotel for a night.
For more self care activities you can add to your Saturday routine, check out our post, “100+ Unusual Self-Care Ideas To Turbocharge Your Life.”
Implementing These Self-Care Saturday Weekend Ideas
If you’re new to self-care, dedicating a day to doing something that makes you feel good is one of the best ways to practice self-care regularly.
On the Saturday of your choice, focus on the present you and try one of the above ideas. Whether you choose to pick up the phone and call a friend, write in a journal, pause and reflect, clear your to-do list, or something else, there’s nothing better than the simple act of honoring your needs and desires.
Of all the days of the week, Saturdays are a great time to transform into a regular self-care routine.
Try These Self Care Saturday Ideas Now for a Perfect Weekend
Now that we’ve taken a deep dive into self-care — what it is, why it’s important, why Saturday is an ideal choice, and what activities and practices you can do, it’s time to take the first step. Your self-care journey is yours to explore. Want to prioritize yourself? Then get ready to set sail on your Self-Care Saturday adventure!
Note: The information on this website is for general information only, and is not a substitute for medical, financial, or legal advice. You, or anyone you are concerned about, are encouraged to seek independent medical, legal, financial, taxation or other advice to check how the website information relates to your unique circumstances. If you or the person you are concerned about appear at risk of self-harm or harm to others, please seek immediate professional assistance.